Tensor plc has a history of inventing, designing and manufacturing world-class products in the areas security and energy management.
- 1991 – Tensor designed and produced the worlds first smart card based Time and Attendance (T & A) system. It was an immediate success and made Tensor a serious competitor in the T & A and Access Control marketplace.
- 1992 – Realising the explosive growth of the Windows™ marketplace, Tensor launched WinTA, the first smart card Time and Attendance / Access Control software package especially written for Microsoft Windows™. It included full graphics, report and analysis generators, and the ability to hold a photo on file for every employee within a company. A world beating package from a world beating company!
- 1995 – Continuing with its image as technology brand leaders in T & A and Access Control, Tensor launched its new 16-bit clocking station in May 1995. Able to hold clocking and security information on 2,500 people, each unit had advanced automatic fire-roll features, an intelligent uninterruptible power supply and the ability to handle up to 12 Access Control points. Use of the latest Surface Mount Technology (SMT) made the equipment reliable and kept prices low.
- 2000 – Tensor launched WinTA Lite, a market beating, low-priced Time and Attendance system. For just £1,495 you get a complete smart card Time and Attendance system which has many more features than any similarly priced competitor product. WinTA Lite includes the T32xx clocking station (with a large graphical display), 50 smart cards, software and manuals. It is EU Working Time Directive compliant and multi-lingual.
- 2001 – Tensor announced its new low-cost Access Control system, Tensor Access, for delivery in December 2001. This record-breaking, feature-packed Access Control system is the companion product of WinTA Lite and enables existing WinTA Lite customers to extend their T & A system into an extensive and comprehensive Access Control system, using the same smart cards. Tensor Access can also be installed as a stand-alone system for those wanting the security and peace of mind of Access Control, but have only a limited budget.
- 2002 – Tensor launches a new range of Ethernet based Time & Attendance and Access Control equipment. This allowed our customers to hook most of our products onto their PC networks, utilising their existing cable runs.
- 2002 cont. – Tensor announced they had designed and developed the Worlds 1st biometric Time and Attendance verification and Access Control systems. Reading the fingerprint of the ‘live’ tissue underneath the skin of a finger is real space age technology – but in down-to-earth terms it means that irrefutable proof of a person’s identity is provided, so no more buddy clockings!
- 2003 – Tensor launched the T1582 fingerprint reader add-on for the T8440 clocking stations. During 2003, Tensor gained ISO9001 accreditation & became British Security Industry Association members.
- 2004 – Tensor adds biometric technology to our visitor monitoring and prison visitor monitoring systems. This technology provided these systems with irrefutable proof of a visitors identity.
- 2004 cont. – Tensor launched the T4220 low-cost, PC based fingerprint logon device, and the T4230 PCMCIA security unit for protecting data and access to laptop computers.
- 2006 – Tensor started its CCTV division. With nearly 20 years experience in the security market, Tensor realised that many of our customers were looking for “one stop” solutions from single suppliers to provide integrated security systems. Tensor initially used a number of suppliers for the supply of DVR’s and digital CCTV cameras, but in recent years has now forged a very strong relationship with Panasonic as an integration partner and J2K who manufacture high-end, specialist software based NVR’s. Our CCTV systems have been installed in many blue-chip and high-end establishments across the UK and beyond.
- 2008 – Tensor’s scientists and engineers invent HeatingSave, the worlds 1st off the shelf BEMS (Building Energy Management Systems). Until then a number of companies manufactured BMS (Building Management Systems), but Tensor was the first to take these one stage further to better manage energy and cut fuel bills.
- 2009 – Tensor launched its latest Tensor.NET product ranges. This was a major breakthrough for Tensor in that Tensor’s T8526 Door Controller became the only ACPO ‘Secured by Design’ licensed door controller commercially available. Tensor also designed and manufactured a new range of T & A terminals with full colour screen, Li-Ion battery back up and many advanced features including evacuation reporting, on screen self service modules and 100 Meg Ethernet connection. Another major breakthrough for Tensor.NET was the CCTV link directly into our Access Control systems. This fully integrated a number of CCTV Network Video Recorders (NVR’s) into the Tensor.NET Access Control product suite. In addition, Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) was integrated into the Tensor.NET product suite.
- 2009 cont. – HeatingSave is accredited as an energy savings product by the UK government and put on the Energy Savings Technology list. HeatingSave is also accredited by the Carbon Trust and the Energy Savings Trust. Customers report energy savings over over 50% when using HeatingSave.
- 2010 – HeatingSave is CERT approved by the Government’s OffGem.
- 2011 – Tensor launches the MCVS (Monitoring of Contractor and Visitor System) built on the Tensor.NET platform and offering an unmanned reception module. Tensor also designs the Pharos camera which is utilised as a rapid development self-powered camera with built in DVR, manufactured to ballistics standards and advances our CCTV video analytics software with our partner company.
- 2012 – Tensor successfully integrates the HSCAN Hand Scanner Terminal series into the Tensor.NET platform.
- 2012 cont – HeatSave wireless [Zig 2.4 Mhz wireless mesh network] Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV) launched. T3521 Linux based HeatingSave unit launched.
- 2013 – Tensor launches the Mobile Self Service Module iPhone App, which allows remote workers to clock in and out with GPS data, book jobs or issue requests straight from their iPhones. Another major achievement is the addition of mass-facial recognition and NVR-based multiple Mega-pixel CCTV recording technologies to our range of CCTV solutions.
- 2013 cont – Additional HeatingSave wireless [Zig 2.4 Mhz wireless mesh network] sensors launched for measuring temperature, humidity, carbon dioxide levels. New low-cost Zig 2.4 Mhz wireless mesh network based automatic meter reading sensors for gas, electricity and water. HeatingSave develops a Zig 2.4 Mhz wireless mesh network – based Building Performance Monitoring System for the BRE using the extensive monitoring capabilities found within the HeatingSave system.
- 2014 -Tensor successfully achieves the NSI NACOSS Gold Certification with respect to the Design, Installation and Maintenance of Electronic Security Systems, including Access Control, CCTV Systems and Intruder Alarms.
- 2014 cont – HeatingSave introduces HESM – Hall Energy & Security Management System – a complete turn-key system that replaces an existing heating time clock to provide Village Halls with an inexpensive all-in-one Energy Management, Room Booking and Security Access Control System. HeatingSave also launches the standalone HeatingSave Monitor – a wireless management system that collects internal and external temperature data, information on heating system use and energy consumption.
- 2015 – Tensor introduces an updated version of the Mobile Self Service Module – now offering full support for iOS, Android and Windows Mobile devices. Together with our partner company, Tensor introduces RDAPS – the UK’s first and ONLY Secured by Design approved Rapid Deployment Asset Protection System – a self-contained, compact turnkey rapidly deployable surveillance solution.
- 2015 cont – HeatingSave introduces the World’s First BEMAM (Building Energy Management and Monitoring) System, delivering both extensive building performance monitoring capabilities and full control over a building’s heating system, lights and HVAC equipment.
- 2016 – Tensor introduces a new and improved Time and Attendance and Access Control reader, adding extra functionality. We have also successfully developed an integration module to link the Capita SIMS platform with Tensor.NET and added support for the iEvo Biometric Fingerprint Readers. We are in the final of stages of implementing updates that will extend the scope and functionality of our Mobile Self Service Module.
Today, Tensor is a leading British smart card designer and manufacturer of terminals. Our Tensor.NET product is one of the most comprehensive software packages for combined T & A, Access Control and Personnel Management. Tensor.NET is used by many of Europe’s leading companies, and is one of the most advanced systems to handle the EU Working Time Directive Legislation.
Tensor plc continues to be a financially strong company, currently employing over 100 people, with its headquarters operating from its own 1,120m² (12,000 sq. ft.) purpose built facility attached to a magnificent old country house standing in 6 acres of grounds at Hail Weston in Cambridgeshire. Tensor operates from several other facilities across the UK, including our secondary site (Hail Weston Springs), 1 mile away from our HQ which houses our Production, Software Development & Operations departments, a telesales, training & engineering support services centre in St. Helens, Merseyside and a telesales centre in Bedford, Bedfordshire.
With Tensor’s Research & Design activities remaining a top priority, this will maintain Tensor’s position as a market leader in the security equipment sector for years to come.