Applications are invited from experienced gardeners who hold qualifications in horticulture or have the equivalent proven experience. Applicants must have a good understanding of plants and feel comfortable running a large garden with glass.
Shared living accommodation for a single person available.
Keen, physically fit, less experienced applicants will be considered.
Initially you will be managed by an experienced person and work from a Daily Work Schedule. However, you will be expected to put in the necessary effort to become familiar with the garden so that you are able to undertake the gardening duties with a less prescriptive Work Schedule.
The job involves the full-time maintenance of 5 acres of gardens of our Company HQ at Hail Weston House in Cambridgeshire. Most of the grounds are down to grass and herbaceous borders with yew, beech and laylandii hedges. However, there are a number of beds for annuals and bi-annuals and we grow plants for use indoor use in the reception and other areas. These plants are frequently swapped with those in the glasshouses so that the plant material is always kept fresh and attractive. We also have a number of outside planters that have bulbs, annuals and other plant material within them depending upon the time of year.
There are 3 heated glasshouses, one of which has a hot-bed. There are a further two unheated glasshouses and a number of cold frames. The site is fully mechanised using a tractor with 3 point linkage and PTO, trailer and shredder. Grass is maintained with a top-end Kubota grass cutter and Stihl strimmers, hedge cutters and chainsaws.
Salary up to £22,000 depending upon experience and ability.
On a day-to-day basis the work will involve the following tasks, although these will alter throughout the seasons.
- Weeding and maintenance of plants within the glasshouses.
- Weeding and maintenance of herbaceous borders, annual beds and planters.
- Grass cutting, although some of this will b done by others depending upon your workload.
- Hedge cutting, shredding of cuttings and distribution of this onto the beds.
- Plant propagation from seed and various other plant propagation techniques.
- Bulb planting for external and indoor use.
Neat and tidy maintenance of potting and machinery sheds and maintenance and keeping clean of all tools. We have an in-house motor mechanic who will maintain the diesel/petrol machinery although the day-to-day maintenance and cleaning is done by the gardener.
- Be physically fit and able to undertake all aspects of gardening
- Have qualifications or equivalent experience in using petrol driven hedge cutters, strimmer and similar mechanical equipment and be able to professionally cut hedges so that they are properly maintained both cosmetically and horticulturally.
- Have qualifications or equivalent experience in using diesel driven garden tractors and ride-on grass cutting machinery
- Have qualifications or equivalent experience of garden chemical sprayers for weed and pests control.
- Have good plant knowledge and understand how to successfully grow plants both in the gardens and under glass. Where the applicant’s plant knowledge is not up to the required standard, they will be expected to swiftly develop their knowledge so that they can grow the plants under their care.
- Be hardworking and be happy to work on their own and enjoy working outdoors and able to work unsupervised
- Have attention to detail and be proud of their work
Whilst Tensor considers academic qualifications important, the most important attribute required of the Gardener is their tenacity and willingness to manage the maintenance of the grounds of a large house to a 1st class standard.