The Technical Buyer is responsible for the majority of purchasing within Tensor. Items purchased include:
- Printed Circuit Boards (PCB’s) that are manufactured in China and elsewhere
- Electronic devices ranging from switches, silicon devices, sensors, etc.
- Electro-mechanical devices such as locks, turnstiles, barriers
- Enclosures such as purpose made boxes, cases, plastic enclosures etc
- Other parts required by Tensor
The above are a mixture of component parts and finished products from 3rd parties, and parts that are required to manufacture our finished products. All purchasing history, product bills of material and documentation are stored within Tensor’s existing Manufacturing system. There is also an excellent support network of engineers from the Production department, R & D Engineers and Operations/Installations Engineers to provide help and guidance. However, some items are purchased by individual departments without the involvement of the Technical Buyer. These include smartcards/smartcard consumables, stationary, IT equipment, etc. support for the day-to-day running of the company.
Starting salary is between £20, 000 and £26,000 p.a. depending upon previous experience and ability. 20 days’ annual leave + Bank/Public Holidays + Company pension scheme available. Additional annual leave achievable, mobile phone, laptop & private pension is available. A car purchase scheme is also available.
This is an exceptional opportunity to “make a difference” within a medium sized company that designs & manufactures innovative world-class security and energy management products.
Training is provided internally by a CIPS (Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply) member who has extensive procurement experience at a very high level within multi-national organisations.
The work will include:
- Purchase of finished parts, materials and sub-components
- Assistance to other departments (typically Sales and Operations) to help specify and source parts/products
- Sourcing of product from existing suppliers, both in the UK and abroad
- Managing supplier relationships to ensure lead times are met and that pricing does not increase (and hopefully decreases)
- Data entry into our manufacturing system and using this data to better manage the supply chain
- Finding new suppliers, especially from abroad, and managing the supply chain, product quality, delivery schedules and supplier relationships
Candidates with procurement ability but limited experience will be mentored by our CIPS accredited director.
You will be a sharp, self-motivated, dedicated person who wants to learn and develop their procurement skills. This is more important than academic qualifications. Requirements for this role include:
- Technical background in either IT, electronics, or a similar discipline
- Procurement experience or a desire to move into this area
- An enquiring mind able to seek out new supplies in the far-east and elsewhere
- Determined nature and excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work to deadlines. Flexible, able to multitask and work as part of a team
- Good IT skills
- Good written skills
- Willing to learn about our products and develop your knowledge
- Numerically proficient and able to think on their feet
We are particularly interested in candidates who are at ease when dealing with people and those with a good telephone manner.
Please ensure your full address is included in your CV. Applicants outside of the UK will not be accepted.