Version 1.31.9 of the Self-Service Visitor Management (SSVM) App for iOS adds Support for Ethernet Connectivity
The Tensor Self-Service Visitor Management (SSVM) App has been specifically designed to run on tablets placed in reception areas, where Wi-Fi connectivity is typically good.
However, we do acknowledge the fact that, due to site-specific restrictions, tablets might sometimes be located in areas where Wi-Fi coverage does not reach the required level of performance.
For this reason, the newly-released Version 1.31.9 of the Self-Service Visitor Management (SSVM) App for iOS now provides support for Ethernet connectivity – which means that, in effect, you can easily connect an iPad to a wired corporate network, thereby enjoying a superior level of reliability as far as the network connection is concerned.
In order to facilitate the setup, we have put together a very quick guide on what adapters you need and the steps you need to take in order to connect your iPad to an Ethernet network. Please note that this type of connection will require configuration changes to the user organisation’s DNS or the allocation to tablets of static IP addresses.
How to connect an iPad to a wired network using an Ethernet adapter
Since the Apple iPad doesn’t feature a built-in Ethernet port, you will need to use the following adapters:
- Lightning to USB 3 Camera adapter
- USB Ethernet adapter
- Powered USB hub
Once you have all of the above, please follow this procedure:
- Disable both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections on your iPad;
- Plug the lightning end of the Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter into the iPad;
- Connect the iPad power supply to the powered USB hub;
- Connect the USB Ethernet Adapter to the powered USB hub;
- Connect the powered USB hub to the Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter;
- Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into the USB Ethernet adapter, and the other end into your router or Ethernet wall outlet.
You will then be able to confirm that your iPad is connected to the internet via a wired Ethernet connection when the “Ethernet” tab appears in the settings menu.
Tensor Self-Service Visitor Management (SSVM) Pre-Requisites
- Microsoft’s Internet Information Services, version 7.0, 7.5 or 10.0 (or a similar web server product, ie Apache).
- A compatible version of Tensor SSM.
- Any edition of a compatible version of Tensor.NET registered with WinMCVS and SSM serial numbers.
- A mobile device running IOS version 11.3 or above.
- An account to download the IOS app from the iTunes Store.
For more information regarding the SSVM app, of you’d like to test it for yourselves, please email email@example.com.